Milk Wars

For once, I must admit that I'm having mixed feelings regarding Mayor Bloomberg's Breastfeeding initiative.  Being that I'm a mother that has nursed two of her three children, I can assure you that it is not only a healthy route for babies, but for the mothers as well.  I can openly admit that the only reason why I failed to nurse my first child was because I was a young mother and unaware of the benefits and simplicity of breast feeding, because no one took the initiative to enlighten me.  Not my doctor, mother, friend, family member, or even myself.  I honestly believe that if someone would have educated me on the benefits and processes of nursing at that time, my oldest child would have received those benefits.  Not until I was older and had my other two children, did I begin to educate myself on the benefits of breastfeeding.  Now that I think of it, the physician that delivered my last two children never even discussed with me the pros and cons of breastfeeding until my last two weeks of pregnancy. 

Now, after reading the article a few times, I didn't interpret the initiative as an opportunity to force mothers to breastfeed, but an opportunity to provide education on the benefits of breast feeding, while ensuring that the information is received by ALL parents of newborns. What's wrong with that?  Last time I checked, hospitals and physicians are to provide you with information on the BEST treatment for a condition.  Therefore, if the best source of nutrition for your child is breast milk, then why shouldn't parents be educated on this information?  Truth be told, this conversation should be starting way before delivering your child at the hospital.  It should be a well thought out process in which the parents are educated on the benefits, as well as the responsibilities of being a nursing parent.  After that point, if a woman chooses against breastfeeding her child, then that's her business as well as her reasons why!

For too long,  information related to the benefits of breast feeding has been withheld from parents in low income high poverty demographics, especially minority communities.  This failure to inform has led to babies and parents in this demographic not receiving the benefits of breast feeding.  According to the 2011 Surgeon General's Report on A Call To Action To Support Breastfeeding, breastfeeding rates for black infants are 50 percent lower than those for white infants at birth, age six months, and age 12 months.."  If we choose to look at this on the bright side, it appears as a push to ensure that all mothers are provided with some form of education on the ups and downs of breastfeeding. 

So there you have it...to breastfeed or not to breastfeed....that is the question.  I'm curious, what are you thoughts on this?

Peace & Blessings
Edquina



Comments

Popular Posts